<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 11, 2004

my heart leaps in this one place 

I was always fascinated by stories of strange things. The more ghosts in it, fairies and elves, or any other mystical characters, the better. As always, father filled up our heads with these stories since the day we could understand what words mean. He always has lots of stories about them. What is more interesting is that he insist they are real, he saw them, he met them, he was so afraid of them, but he understands why they show up. I may be considered strange, crazy, wild, or whatever you call it, but this is what I believe is fun and interesting.

The Village of Amballo

It is always when I go home to Amballo, the new village where my parents settled in that I get this strange leap of the heart. My parents have been living there for 15 years now, but it is always the same feeling that I get when I go there.

Amballo is a place of rolling hills. It looks like an endless rolling hills bordered by a mountain in the distance. Instead of trees, what you will see are tall towers of electricity that cuts through the entire prairie. It's a very hot place. Trees and water could only be found at the foot of the hills.

The place is accessible by public jeepneys that traverse the area. The jeepneys come from another village, about 8 kilometers away from Amballo. They pass through our village going to and coming from the town where the public market is.

The Road

The road from the town to the village is "half-bearable". Half of the way is paved and half of it is rough road. The first half of the way passes through the national highway where buses from the cities pass. On a bend of the highway is a separate path that leads to the village. This is where the rough road starts. It is an endless road, with only one crossing or junction in the whole trip.

Our house is located along the road after the junction. The right of the junction leads to Amballo South, and the left is to Amballo North. Amballo North is where we live.

It is after this junction and before our house that I get the goose bumps and the sudden leap of my heart. The distance between the junction and our house is approximately 600 meters. But it is a place of rolling hills, so that means passing through another foot of a hill before reaching home in this short distance. The foot of the hill was bridged however, by a pile of soil and rocks dumped there years ago to elevate the road connecting the two hills. Underneath the elevated bridge is an aqueduct for water passage.

Strange Point

The exact point of elevated bridge is where I feel really strange. Whether on foot when I am walking going to the junction or on a jeepney, the feeling is always the same. At first, I thought this is just a reaction to a place I am visiting for the first time, or my anticipation to see my family, or the guy I fancy. But everytime I go home or leave home, at that same spot, I feel strange, my heart leaps. Years passed and it is still the same, all the time.

Now, I feel I need to find out why do I feel like that in that place. Other people I asked does not feel anything when they pass the area. It's just another normal place to them. But to me, this is the only place where I feel my heart leap out of a sudden.

I will find out. I will learn what is there and why, I believe. I will.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?