<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 11, 2004

New Age mother can't decide on religion for her kids 

*Note: I just copied this article from the Philippine Daily Inquirer website as a record of a favorite article of Mr. Licauco. PDI does not keep a record of their articles for more than a week anymore so if you want to read the article later on, there is no way to do that. So here is a copy of my favorite article.

Inner Awareness : New Age mother can't decide on religion for her kids
Updated 08:00pm (Mla time) Aug 02, 2004
By Jaime Licauco
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page D2 of the August 3, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

I RECEIVED a letter from Norma (not her real name), a 41-year-old mother of four children who could not decide in what religion to raise her kids, since she had embraced "more enlightened New Age concepts."

Norma was raised by a very strict Catholic father who became "a lay minister but was weak (when faced with) temptation." She said her father "hid his moral weakness through a facade of (holiness) and by being a religious freak." The hypocrisy made her lose her trust and respect for her father in her adolescent years and also her faith in the Catholic Church.

"It was only after he died," she said, "that I forgave him and accepted who he really was. I realized he touched the lives of many people and healed them in the process."

She has read books on reincarnation and the "Conversations with God" books of Neale Donald Walsh and found them very enlightening. She believed what "God" was saying in those books.

Raised as Catholics

Her dilemma now is this: "Now that I have embraced this kind of 'enlightened religion,' what do I teach my children? I have four kids, aged 16, 13, 8 and 5. I am raising them as Catholics like my parents.

Three of my siblings (we are 12) joined the Born-Again Christians several years ago. Would it be selfish of me to teach them (kids) my religion? Or should I just let them believe in a punishing God? And about Jesus Christ who 'saved' us?
"My kids are happy being Catholics and they follow tradition. But the older ones are already asking questions which I could not sanely answer. I am utterly confused! I admit I'm just at the infantile stage of being conscious of my 'higher awareness' or 'higher being' and might be being misled by all these so-called 'New Age religion.' I am afraid to let them know my beliefs because of what they might think.

"I am surrounded by people who are deeply Catholic. Even in my office, 95 percent are members of Ligaya, a Catholic organization, and they talk a lot about it and outwardly practice their faith. (They sometimes get very judgmental) when I dare speak up about my own belief. It's frustrating and confusing.

"So what can you say about my predicament? Can you help me? I know you've enlightened a lot of people who have called you master. Please help me!"

Greater master

Thank you, Norma, for your kind words and for your confidence in this writer. At the outset, let me make some important clarifications. I am not a master and do not wish to be called one. I firmly believe the real master is within each of us. There is no greater master than yourself.

This so-called New Age is not a religion but merely a new way of looking at life and the universe, a new point of view. One can be a member of any religion and still embrace New Age ideas. See my new book "On Christianity, New Age and Reincarnation" for a clear explanation of what New Age is really about.

Normally, I don't want to talk about religion because I believe it is an individual and personal thing. I also believe all religions are good and there's no point in converting a person to another religion.

It is just like jumping from one box to another although each priest or member of one box believes his box is better than the others. And each is willing to fight to the death to prove it.

To me it does not matter much which religion you adopt or to raise your children in. If you are a Catholic, be a good Catholic; if a Hindu or Muslim be a good Hindu or Muslim.

No true or false religion

I do not believe one religion is true and others false. Who are we to judge this? When the psychic Edgar Cayce was asked in a trance which version of the Bible was best, his reply was: "The one that you live." I think that's an excellent answer.

Members of any religion do not all live or practice what their religion teaches. We are all guilty of this. What we desperately need in this country is greater tolerance for religious beliefs that may be different from our own.

If your children are happy with their Catholic faith, let them be. There is no point in disturbing their belief. But when they start questioning their religion, that's the time to explain how you view things, without forcing them to embrace your point of view.

Will this not confuse them? Not necessarily. It depends on how you handle their questions. You will be surprised how smart this younger generation is. They are truly Aquarian Age children.

As for your officemates and friends, there are three subjects you should never discuss: religion, politics and sex!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?